Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wants, Needs, And The Damage In Between

Got up from the ground
To continue the story
Beating heart in hand
To march through the grim and gory

“I was just wondering
If you’d come along…”
Since you gave me a listen
And you appeared to like my song

Waded through the pessimism
To find you standing in the back
Little did he know…
The deck had been stacked

Knife in hand she turns to leave
As he lies there and slowly bleeds
Not sure if he got what he wanted
But apparently, this is what he needs

It wasn’t moving fast enough
So we traded in our steeds
It wasn’t growing fast enough
So we traded in our seeds
It wasn’t tangled up enough
So we amped up our weeds
And when it was everything we wanted
It became nothing any of us need

A knock at the door
Has me begging for more
And she’d be gone now
Except she’s been here before

Locked in my mind
With no room to expand
If you wanna make God laugh
Then just tell Him what you have planned

A prayer for over there
A wish for none of this
A gesture of something better
But still a Miss I truly miss

So give me one good reason to stay
And I’ll give you one for me to go
Tell me honestly what you think
And I’ll tell you everything I know

Her face lights up at his mention
And then I’m losing her attention
Just another studded example
Of my lack of relational retention

It wasn’t what we stood for
So we traded in our creed
It wasn’t in the way enough
So we decided to further impede
It wasn’t unclear enough
So we decided to mislead
And when it was everything we wanted
It became nothing any of us need

I’m not what you wanted
But I’ll continue to be that Swede
And I’m not on the street
But I’m still being trampled by this stampede

I don’t want a sentiment
That wasn’t intended for me
So take your charming personality
And simply leave me be

Another one down
But then there are more on the horizon
Stuck in the middle of it all
While still searching for that one

If insanity were a hobby
And listlessness a skill
I’d be one-up on everyone else
And the undisputed king of the hill

Take me to a show
And put on a show for me
Convince me that you’re convinced
Of the two of us being “we”

Then pin me down backstage
With the curtains that match the drapes
Let us never have an audience
And simply watch how love escapes

It wasn’t accumulating fast enough
So we stepped up our greed
It wasn’t dying fast enough
So we cut it down and watched it bleed
It wasn’t worth begging for
So we instead decided to plead
And when it was everything we wanted
It became nothing any of us need

Longwinded became the norm
And there was no longer a calm before the storm
We stood there and watched it abashed
But could do nothing as we were turned to ash…

No comments: