Saturday, November 27, 2010

Spare Change

Here I am amongst the lines and lives

Heading towards the wheels and gears

Trying to avoid looks like knives

Trying to put a deaf ear to all their fears


Here he comes with a slumped and beaten stance

Defeated by the wind and the cold

He puts out his hand and asks for a chance

But I’ve already heard what I’m going to be told


Where’s my kindness? And what have I done?

But I can’t help but think I won’t be the only one

Survival of the fittest has taken a turn for the worst

And I’m trapped, thinking: “What do I say first?”


Here I am amongst the leather and glass

Heading back to a comfortable life I’ve built

I question the lives of all those I pass

I question when I’ll escape this guilt


There he is now amidst a world that has won

He walks along toward more hidden faces

I know for a fact he’s not the only one

I know he’s not the only one the cold still embraces


Where’s my love? And what have I done?

But I fight the guilt by convincing myself I’m not the only one

Survival of the fittest has turned a bit too extreme

And I’m left thinking: “Is it all just a bad dream?”


Here I am amongst the chilled winter’s air

Heading towards the cotton and wool

Trying to pretend that I don’t care

Hoping one day that he’ll be full


Where he is now I don’t think I can say

Maybe still waiting to be treated kindly

All I can do is hope and pray

That somebody else won’t act as blindly


Where’s my heart? And what have I done?

We can’t help everybody, but what about one?

Survival of the fittest has gone and ruined us all

And so I pray to God that He’ll pick me up if ever I fall

No comments: