Sunday, August 09, 2009

If Then

If misery loves company,
Then why am I alone?
If happiness is a state of mind,
Then are its borders finite?
If all good things must come to an end,
Then what will happen to heaven?
If two wrongs actually made a right,
Then would I be able to sleep tonight?

Not the best and over dressed,
With the wrong address to this mess.
Not depressed but overstressed,
With a forward regress to finesse.
It’s not quite goodbye,
It’s just another last word.
Everybody has them,
Some more famous, all absurd.

How do we decide
What we deserve in life,
While those most deserving
Are patiently dying inside?
Why do we think we have more control
Over our lives than we actually do?
Why do we blink and miss the goal
When love arrives and only wants us too?

If I told you the truth,
Then would you believe me?
If I did everything for you,
Then would everything happen for me?
If I told you I was drowning,
Then would you jump in with me?
If I told you I loved you,
Then would you be in love with me?

I just found another bottle,
With no tangible message in it.
All it tried to say
Was you really need to quit.
I just fought another battle,
With no discernible presage before it.
All I tried to do
Was honorably quit.


When up is down and all around,
Why can’t I find a middle ground?
Is there only tragedy and comedy,
And nothing in between for me?
When up is down and all around,
Would we even notice a middle ground?
Is there only tragedy and comedy,
And no one in between for me?

If I wake before I die,
Then would I feel all right?
If I’m a solution and problem too,
Then what are you supposed to do?
If three’s a crowd and one extra wheel,
Then I’ll just leave and make your two ideal.
If it looks like love, and feels like love
Then it’s just infatuation, not all of the above.

Let’s take a pass on all the drama
And enjoy this just a little longer
While too many people are talking
About things that mean nothing
Finding out that I wasn’t invited
But we continue to stay, never frightened
Well I’ll admit that I’m afraid
And I can’t sleep in the bed I’ve made.

If our prayers are only vain wishes,
Then should we really expect God to answer?
If this world sucks because we say it does,
Then can I just say I want to defer?
If good things come to those who wait,
Then can I just sit here and procrastinate?
If absence makes the heart grow fonder,
Then we all ought to be separated from each other.

No comments: