Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Headphones & Cellphones

Woke up this morning to put on the headphones

Walked to school with the feeling that I wasn’t alone

Wanted to check the time so I took out my phone

The phone fell; I disappeared, and found myself on my own…


“Welcome” she said, “to a world of truth

The kind that eludes your naïve youth”

We walked along trying to find my use

We walked along, me and my muse


The ground of this place was innocence

And the skies were made of dreams

And when the wind blew you felt at home,

And everything was as it seemed


We walked for some time and gazed at the souls

Of our present selves and those we planned to be

When the grass became green, we knew we were on the other side

And when I looked at myself, I saw only me


She took my hand and we left the ground

The air was freeing as we flew by

She whispered to me what she had found

And I whispered to her what had passed me by


Then with a crash I was again on the street

Headphones on the curb, no longer on my feet

Surrounded by those who wanted only to aid

And help me up from where I lay


To me the thought was not one I wanted

The thought of them coercing me, I daunted

They yelled “Get help! I think he’s badly injured”

But I closed my eyes; I disappeared, and reality I conjured


“Hello again” she said with a voice that eased my heart

“I was worried you had left, before we had a chance to start.”

She took my hand, and in a silver glow

She made me forget the pain I used to know


The ground broke loose, and the whole world shifted

And in an instant of ecstasy, my soul lifted

Not quite flying, but not quite falling

Just openly listening for my calling


She never asked if I was happy

And she never asked if I was ok

She simply asked if she could be by my side

And what else was there that I could say?


Amused with my muse, I took her hand

And on a beach out of reach we did stand

In a tongue unsung I told her my plan

And on a night, in the moonlight, my life began


But all too soon I was pulled away

The lights were white and it was yesterday

Or was it tomorrow, I couldn’t decipher

And me and my headphones were no longer together


Then over me appeared an unknown face

He diagnosed the situation and the place

Gently touching my head, and putting on my mask

I closed my eyes; I disappeared, and took in the gas


“Again? You know you must warn me first.

In your absences I fear the worst.”

She spoke as if we’d been apart for years

And I quickly tried to quell her fears


We embraced and thought of just us

Got lost in what would be, and not what was

Drifting away, on seas of the purest blue

We bid our individual lives adieu


Hearing thunder boom and lightning crack

We never did dream of coming back

And in the instances where I found it hard to go on

I looked to her, and my cares were gone


With electric intensity I was again back here

And with another jolt I had found a new fear

Lying on my back with four faces above

They all looked down, while I looked up for her love


“What’s he trying to do?” Asked the man in white

“Son, we’re trying to help you, quit putting up a fight”

I tried to run and I tried to do what was right

I ran to her. The beauty standing in the light


Opening my eyes, I saw free and clear

“I’m happy that you’re once again here”

She looked me in the eyes, and in her beauty did say

“I’m happy that you’re once again here to stay.”

2 comments:

The Wandering said...

I like it a lot.

Anonymous said...

you have been writing a lot lately *is very pleased* This was a good break from school work.*two thumbs*

-sociopath