Thursday, April 01, 2010

Keep It Together

In a moment of weakness he picked up the phone
Went through the contacts, found her number and listened to that tone
She picked up on the third and said, "Hello?"
And in a moment of weakness he said, "I'm so alone..."

In a moment of anger she hung up on me
She counted to ten, said "Never again..." and then took pity
She picked up the phone and called just to see
And in a moment of sympathy, she started talking to me

"You can't do this!" she said
"You must wake up!"
"Put down the phone, pick up your pride,
And please just stop!"

In a moment of desperation he pleaded his case
Spilled out reasons, thought of answers, all to try and save face
She listened, out of respect, but soon felt the need to erase
And in a moment of fury, she turned on him and changed pace

"You can't do this!" she shouted
"You must wake up!"
"Let my heart go, don't try anymore,
And please wake up!"

In a moment of confusion her voice was lost
And while he tried to get it back, whatever the cost
She was gone and he wished they'd never crossed
And in a moment of confusion, from his sleep he was tossed

In a moment of understanding, I awoke this morning
Brushed my eyes of surprise, and forgot the previous scorning
But I go forth, after unnecessary mourning
And in a moment of serenity, I tell you: "Heed my warning,

You'll only be crushed
If you don't keep it together
When she doesn't want you
As much as you want her... "

No comments: