Monday, November 23, 2009

My To-Do List

I’ve finished my to-do list

And it’s only the first

And I ask myself: Am I getting better at this,

Or are they all just getting worse?


All the motivation in the world

Wouldn’t be enough to get that girl

And do you think you could engineer,

A way to get and keep her here?


Lackluster and unable to muster

Up the courage to say what needs to be said

No worries, in no hurry

When the worst I could be is dead


I’m on the wrong side of the road

Dodging traffic as it comes

There’s an accident waiting to happen

Passing hitchhikers without thumbs


Do you have the ingredients sir,

To satiate these greedy gluttons?

Their cups runneth over with demand

Watch it pop their straining buttons


Could you walk up to a passerby,

And show her what you’re made of?

Steal her breath, and sweep her off her feet

Lock eyes and tell her you’re in love?


Every time I see that girl

I forget about this world

And I’m engineering my own way

To get her here, and make her stay


Life never seems to slow down

Enough for me to catch up

Hamsters on wheels make more progress

And everything I do is never enough.


I digress to clichés once again

And I’m wondering how this one will end?

When what I want can’t be given to me

And trying to take it seems to offend


With lives that revolve around screens

TVs, PCs, and cellular

Is it any wonder that we decide,

To continue screening who we really are?


If your dreams became reality

Could you fall asleep at night?

And when life’s one big perception,

How can we know what’s black and what’s white?


Judging by your clothes

It was cold out when you awoke

Well you can take them off now

And warm up to this cruel joke


Judging by your eyes

I see this comes as no surprise

That you choose to misinterpret

Your timely demise


A rose that stands to bury you

By any other name than “perfection”

Smell the scent, tolerate the thorns,

And just ignore your misdirection


It’s half past tomorrow

And the clock strikes a nerve

Time is truly running out

Trying to get what you deserve


Your eyes aren’t resting; they’re closed

And that’s why it really hurts

Open them up before your buffet

Becomes a line of just desserts


I’ve finished my to-do list

And it’s still only the first

And I ask myself: Am I getting better at this,

Or are they all just getting worse?

No comments: