Saturday, August 21, 2010

5 Minutes In A Town Where She Wasn't

I once took a walk to a town of renown

A place in a state with unstable ground

I stayed for five minutes, not like all the rest

All of them were here first, that’s what I found


I once started talking to lads and lasses alike

In this town where I was quickly learning

That in this state no one seemed to care

All of them were here first, that’s what I was discerning


I once fell in love in a town of pure heat

But woke up the next morning oddly cold

I asked those around, “Is this common place?”

All of them replied yes, and that’s what I was told


I once heard a truth that I thought must be lie

In this town to be selfless is a stroke to one’s ego

To put your life on the line for another was nonsense

All of them were for them, that’s what I came to know


I once asked the people of this quaint little town

“If you commit just an ounce to another

Does that somehow put you under their control?”

All of them hesitated…but yes, that’s the belief they were under


I once stood up, and walked out a door that stayed open

In a town of people that never wanted to be hopeless

“Can I really go on if I’m constantly questioning the heavens above?

And in an instant I learned, there’s no such thing as true love


I once heard a girl in this town as my walls fell down

She was quiet at first, but then she started coming around

Knowing only her voice, I asked the townsfolk for help

All of them were preoccupied, and she was never found


I once stammered onward towards a girl I couldn’t see

In a town that wanted absolutely nothing to do with me

Save for a glance and I would keep thinking I had a chance

All of them would walk away, but her voice would stay with me


I once lived in this town for five minutes or so

In a state so unstable I was in a constant blur

“If I wake up unharmed, and make it out of here alive

All of my resolve won’t be for me, but just for her…”

No comments: