Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ashes

Nickeled and knocked out
Bloodied and blocked off
Locked in to being locked out
Nicked but still can’t knock it off
A knack that isn’t shocking
Cocked but no one’s knocking
Stocked but no one’s flocking
Shocked that I’m still talking

Took while no one was looking
Ate what no one was cooking
Shook with no reason to be shaking
Taken by what isn’t mine for the taking

Thousands of islands
And no land upon which to stand
A demand to understand
Handed things that weren’t planned
Tanned faces that ought be banned
Randomness that I hope gets canned
Stand-up people I cannot stand
“Man up and just take her hand!”

Telling tales of the torn tall
Ashes… ashes… we all fall
Shook with no reason to be shaken
Looked her in the eyes and was instantly taken

Rhymes that continue to chime
Climb out of my head primed
Dimed by all the pantomimes
Slime just searching for the sublime
Find limelight that blinds the mind
Mime my emotion to earn a dime
I’m hiding out from all their crimes
I’m hoping things will tell in time

Nonsense rolls like common sense
Dispenses me with great finesse
Shaken, taken, and utterly bereft of defense
Praying this suspense will soon condense

I do declare that it’s all hot air
Impaired by smooth liquid despair
Midair upon a wing and a prayer
Prepared to go most anywhere
Solitary until someone cares
Wary of a likely love affair
Ensnared by that one’s debonair
Aware that I must take it there

Shook with a reason to be shaken
Looked her in the eyes and was instantly taken
I recall that all this is simply stalling
Ashes… ashes… And I think I’ve fallen...

No comments: